Thursday, August 8, 2013

Me Time

      Happy Thursday! I'm sorry I haven't been posting as frequently, but I've been so busy working! And when I finally get off work, I'm so tired that all I can do is watch TV on Netflix.
      Not gonna lie, this week has been rough at work. So far this summer I've been (for the most part) enjoying my job, but this week has simply been miserable. Each day seems longer than the last, and sometimes I've been so frustrated I've been on the verge of tears because I'm that pathetic and exhausted from taking care of pre-schoolers all day. I decided that I needed to devote special time to myself where I can just worry about me instead of taking care of someone else.
      I've gone on several runs and gotten some gelato (chocolate hazelnut and mango!) and just spent some time alone reading, and these have become my favorite parts of my days. Although I typically consider myself a people person, lately that hasn't been the case. I just love getting to take off my nice person "mask" and do whatever I want to do and work on improving myself. Here are my five favorite ways to spend "me time":

1. Running -- I have a love/hate relationship with running. Sometimes, I want nothing more than to slip on my sneakers and tune out the rest of world. Running can be the perfect therapy and it can make you happier! But other times, running can be the last thing I want to do. It can be really hard to motivate myself to run sometimes, so I look to some of my other "me time" options...

2. Gelato -- the much less healthy option, but so delicious. I love any dessert, but recently I've been going to this gelato place by my house and I'm in love. It's the perfect summer treat and so much better than regular ol' ice cream.

3. Reading -- sometimes I just don't want to think about what's going on in my life, so I turn to a fictional person's life. I get to have that quiet alone time without getting overwhelmed or stressed out from my chaotic life.

4. Homemade Mani/Pedi -- since I don't have the money to get my nails done, I give myself a mani/pedi about once a week. It's the perfect amount of time to stop what you're doing and just focus on pampering yourself. Plus, your end result is pretty nails!

5. Crafting -- whether it's an actual craft or a new dish, I love investing my me time on working on something special. I've been painting canvases with quotes recently (I'll have to post about them tomorrow!) and I also plan on making a carrot cake soon. The crafts have been super fun because I'm definitely not an artistic person but I've been pretty satisfied with my painting abilities!

      I fear that "me time" has become highly undervalued since people tend to be in such a rush to get things done that they forget to actually live. It can be hard to balance work and me time, but I like to spend at least 30 minutes a day focusing on just myself (TV and the internet don't count!). I hope my favorite me times have inspired you to create your own list of me times!

Keep it classy,
Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment